Friday, April 2, 2010

MAGA NO NEED PAY: NOW, (CYBER)CRIME HAS A NEW ENEMY, AND JUSTICE HAS A NEW VOICE

Listening to the song “Maga no need pay” performed by a group of young Nigerian artistes, I realized the endemic nature of cybercrime in the Nigerian society. The song’s underlying theme is to discourage cybercrime especially internet scams among young Nigerians.

Recently, Nigeria has acquired an (un)popular global reputation as home for scam artistes popularly known in Nigeria as “419” (named after section 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code dealing with obtaining money under false pretences: - Advance Fee Fraud).

So notorious was this that Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit, Microsoft Nigeria, Microsoft Internet Safety, Security and Privacy Initiative of Nigeria, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Nigeria anti-cybercrime agency) teamed up with young artistes on an all out campaign against the scourge of cybercrime.

The result: - “Maga no need pay”, literally translated the title means scam suckers don’t have to pay on the scam, this is the underlying aim of any scam, to get the sucker to part with his money.

Well, the fight against cybercrime just got creative in Nigeria

See the video via this link

PS: Did you know that Puerto-Rican Pop singer Ricky Martin has “come out of the closet”, in his words “I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am, these years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn’t even know existed.” I guess that must have been a load off his shoulder. I have got to look out for his upcoming tour, I’m his #1 fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment